Dr Joanne Dondey
Dr Joanne Dondey is a leading Melbourne based ophthalmologist with international fellowship training in Paediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus. She has extensive experience in the treatment of children’s eye problems, childhood strabismus, complex adult strabismus and general ophthalmology. She is an experienced cataract surgeon.
In addition Joanne provides neonatal eye services, including screening and treatment of retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) and is registered to inject Botulinum toxin (Botox) for blepharospasm.
Joanne has undertaken research and is a published author in several peer reviewed ophthalmic journals. She continues to improve her knowledge and skills by regular contribution at local and international scientific meetings and ongoing postgraduate studies.
Following her medical degree at the University of Queensland, and medical and surgical residency in public hospitals, Joanne undertook specialist training in ophthalmology. She became a Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists in 2000.
She discovered a passion for children’s ophthalmology and underwent subspecialty training in Paediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus. She completed 2 Fellowships, firstly at the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne then overseas at the Hospital for Sick Children and Toronto Western Hospital in Toronto, Canada, where she was the recipient of the Donald Morin Scholarship.
Joanne then underwent further training in adult cataract surgery in York, UK prior to returning to Australia.
- Visiting staff specialist Ocular Motility Clinic, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital
- Cabrini Private Hospital
- Victoria Parade Surgical Centre
- Fellow Royal Australian and New Zealand College Ophthalmologists (RANZCO)
- American Association Paediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus (AAPOS)
- International Strabismological Association
- RANZCO Paediatric Special Interest Group
- RANZCO Public Health Committee
- The Donald J Morin Memorial Pediatric Ophthalmology Fellow’s Scholarship, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada, 2002
- Jeff Crouch Scholarship, Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne, 2001
- Dondey J, MacKeen L, Buncic JR. Ocular Tilt Reaction in Pediatric Brainstem Lesions.AAPOS, Hawaii, March 2003
- Dondey J, Ganesh A, Forte V, Buncic J. Progressive Orbital Apex Syndrome in a Teen. Canadian Ophthalmological Society, Ottawa, 2002
- Dondey J, Staffieri S, Davie G, McKenzie J, Elder J. Visual Outcome Following Treatment for Retinoblastoma. AAPOS, Seattle, March, 2002
- Dondey J, Staffieri S, McKenzie J, Elder J. Retinoblastoma in Victoria, the next 25 years.RANZCO, Sydney, 2000
- J Dondey, B Livingstone, R Bourke. Contact Transscleral Cyclodiode Laser in Refractory Glaucoma in a Retinal Practice. RANZCO, Sydney, 1997
- Dondey JC, Bourke RD, Seawright AA, Gray P, Cooling RJ. Intravitreal Cilia in Phakic Penetrating Eye Injury. RANZCO, Melbourne, 1995
- Dondey JC, Stark DJ, Glasson W, McGill J, Galbraith A, Whight C, Wong K and Summers K. The Marfan Syndrome in Three Queensland Families. RANZCO,Hobart, 1993
- Paediatric Ophthalmologist – Papua New Guinea Tertiary Health Services Project (Royal Australian College Surgeons), Port Moresby, 4-9 June 2007.